Tour Report: 2016 RBC Canadian Open
This week, the PGA TOUR makes its only 2016 stop in Canada for the RBC Canadian Open in Oakville, Ontario at the Glen Abbey Golf Club. With the top 2 ranked golfers in the world headlining the field, the 107th playing of Canada’s National Men’s Open Championship promises to be a memorable one.
As the only annual event in Canada during the PGA TOUR season, performance for Canadian golfers is paramount as they prepare for their nation’s Open. Nick Taylor, David Hearn and Mike Weir are among the fan favorite Canucks as they set their sights on their first PGA TOUR victory on home soil.
Following Thursday's opening round, TaylorMade once again led the field at the RBC Canadian Open with 44.9% of Professionals teeing up with TaylorMade drivers. In total, 58 M1 and M2 drivers were put into play including Taylor, Hearn and Weir. Below is a look at the rest of their bags this week:
- M1 430 Driver / 9.5* / Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661
- M2 #3 FW / 15* / Fujikura Speeder Evolution
- M1 Rescue / 19* / Fujikura Speeder Evolution
- PSi Tour Irons 3-5 / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S300
- Tour Preferred MB 6-9 / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S300
- Tour Preferred EF Wedges (47, 54 & 60 degrees) / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S300
- Ghost Daytona Putter
- Tour Preferred X Golf Ball
- adidas Golf Tour360 Boost footwear and apparel
- M2 Driver / 10.5* / Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757
- M2 #3 FW / 15* / Matrix RUL Type-A 80
- M2 #5 FW / 18* / Matrix RUL Type-A 80
- M2 Rescue / 22* / Matrix Ozik
- PSi Tour Irons 4-PW / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
- adidas Golf Tour360 Boost footwear
- M2 Driver / 9.5* / Mitsubishi Tensei
- RBZ Stage 2 #3 FW / 15* / Mitsubishi Diamana
- RSi TP UDI 3-Iron / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
- PSi Tour Irons 4-9 / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Nick Taylor on 1st hole. Mike Weir on 17th hole. David Hearn on 4th hole.
#2 ranked golfer in the world, Dustin Johnson, has had a strong following of Canadian fans showing their support. Johnson did not leave these fans disappointed during the first round, closing with a 365-yard drive, which lead to an eagle and a total of 6-under par to share the lead.
Dustin Johnson on 18th hole
#1 ranked golfer in the world, Jason Day, returned to Glen Abbey as defending champion. Day’s victory at the 2015 RBC Canadian Open started his incredible stretch that has since seen him win 6 more times on the PGA TOUR in under 12 months. During the first round, Jason Day and Dustin Johnson both averaged 320 yards off the tee (319.5 and 320.5 yards respectively). The combination of the M1 driver with Tour Preferred X golf balls provided distance, control and feel while charting their way around Jack Nicklaus' first golf course design.
Jason Day on 11th hole.
Earlier this week at Glen Abbey, the onsite TaylorMade Performance Lab, which provides tour level custom fittings for Canadian Professionals and amateurs year round, acted as the TaylorMade Tour Truck to service player’s needs. Canadian Tour Representative Shawn Mullin, who is a regular on the truck, worked with the rest of the Canadian team to build, bend and provide other benefits to Team TaylorMade. Within the Performance Lab, Jason Day’s Spider Limited Red putter had a half degree of loft reduced to adjust for the changing green conditions from the British Open. D.A. Points also had his Ghost Spider bent onsite as he requested 1-degree upright from previous 2 degrees flat.
Regarding loft adjustments, one of TaylorMade's latest Staff Professionals, Jordan Niebrugge, had his PSi Tour lofts tweaked to ensure he has optimal gaping within his iron set.
For more from the 2016 RBC Canadian Open, view an inside-the-ropes photo gallery below:
Download PDFDownload PDF
About TaylorMade Golf Canada
About TaylorMade Golf Company
Headquartered in Carlsbad, California, TaylorMade Golf is a leading manufacturer of high performance golf equipment and golf balls and a major force on the PGA TOUR. With industry-leading innovative products like M1/M2 metalwoods, M1/M2 irons and TP5 golf balls, TaylorMade has one of the strongest athlete portfolios in golf, with six players in the current Top 12 in the world. Key athletes include world no.1 Dustin Johnson, world no.2 Rory McIlroy, world no.3 Jason Day, Masters champion Sergio Garcia, Olympic champion Justin Rose and world no.12 PGA TOUR rookie Jon Rahm.