World #1 Dustin Johnson Comes from Behind to Claim First Leg of FedExCup Playoffs in Dramatic Fashion
Using his prodigious power off the tee with his '17 M1 driver and brilliant iron & wedge play, Johnson comes from 5 back to capture Northern Trust Open in thrilling playoff at Glen Oaks Club
DJ's driver setup hasn't changed since he first put it into play during his win at the Genesis Open at Riviera. He plays the '17 M1 460 driver with the same Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0, his go-to shaft for the past few years. The actual loft of his driver is 11*, which along with his weight settings, allows him to hit his preferred shot shape: the high fade. On the first hole of the playoff, Johnson took the aggressive route over the lake, carrying the water with a 341-yard driver to set up a comfortable 60* wedge shot onto the green. For the week, he averaged 314.3 yards off the tee with an accuracy rate of 75%.
DJ's wedge setup often changes week to week depending on the conditions. His usual setup, however, is playing the Tour Preferred MB '14 PW along with a 52* & 60* combination in the Milled Grind wedges, which he added to the bag as soon as the Tour truck had first had them available. Over the last few seasons, Johnson's wedge play has become one of the strongest elements of his game.
Looking for a different look, DJ played a new putter this week - the TP Collection Juno, which was built by the Tour team at 35.75" length, has 2.5* of loft and 79* lie angle. It's equipped with a black stepped shaft and has a SuperStroke GT Pistol 1.0 grip.
What You Need To Know:
- Dustin plays the M1 460 2017 driver, which he first put into play at the Genesis Open at Riviera en route to victory. His shaft setup has remained consistent - he uses a Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0, the same he used last year.
- Johnson's comeback (from 5 down) is the second largest deficit in tournament history.
- TaylorMade again dominated the Tour driver count this week at the Northern Trust Open with 50 of 120 drivers (41.7%) in play.
- The win is Johnson's fourth victory of the season and further solidifies his position as the number one player in the world. Fellow stablemate Jon Rahm elevates to a career-high #5 in the OWGR by way of an impressive T3 finish.
- The win is Johnson's 16th career PGA TOUR victory; second most of any player since the start of 2008 (Tiger: 18).
- This was the seventh win this season for the new TP5/TP5X ball, with Johnson having 4 of them. Kim, Rahm and Garcia have also won this year with the new ball (Rahm & Kim: TP5x, Garcia TP5).
Dustin Johnson's Winning Bag at the Northern Trust Open:
- '17 M1 460 Driver / 10.5* / Fuji Speeder Evolution 661 X Tour Spec 2.0
- '17 M2 Fairway / 16.5*
- '17 M2 Fairway / 18*
- '14 Tour Preferred MB Irons / 3-PW / Dynamic Gold X100
- Milled Grind Wedges / 52* & 60* / KBS Tour Black 130 X
- TP Collection Juno Putter
- TP5x Golf Ball (#1)
- Tour Preferred Glove
- Tour New Era 9Fifty Headwear
Download PDFDownload PDF
About TaylorMade Golf Canada
About TaylorMade Golf Company
Headquartered in Carlsbad, California, TaylorMade Golf is a leading manufacturer of high performance golf equipment with industry-leading innovative products like M1 and M2 metalwoods, M1 and M2 irons and TP5/TP5X golf balls. TaylorMade is also a major force on the PGA TOUR with one of the strongest athlete portfolios in golf, that includes world no.1 Dustin Johnson and five of the current Top 15 in the world.
À propos de la société TaylorMade Golf
Basé à Carslbad, en Californie, TaylorMade Golf est un chef de file dans la fabrication d’équipement de golf de haute performance, grâce notamment à des produits innovateurs tout à fait uniques comme les bois de métal M1 et M2, les fers M1 et M2 et les balles de golf TP5/TP5X. TaylorMade est également un joueur majeur au sein du circuit de la PGA avec l’une des équipes d’ambassadeurs les plus puissantes au golf, composée notamment du numéro un mondial Dustin Johnson et de 5 des 15 premiers au Classement mondial du golf.